Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is a great way to BBQ a chicken to ensure it will be cooked through and juicy. It only takes 3/4 hr to finish before serving. Use whatever juice you like - cranberry, orange whatever. It looks divine and tase good too
- 1 large chicken (enough to serve 6)
- water, to cover
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 star anise or 1 pinch anise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 onion, peeled quartered
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- Do ahead: Clean& truss chicken (Tie legs together and secure wings) and place in a large pot, cover with water.
- Add salt, ginger, anisseed,onion& soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat ans simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain water from the chicken and leave it to cool completely.
- Mix honey and pineapple juice in a cup.
- BBQ Cooking: Thread the chicken onto a spit from the tail end coming out through the wishbone (Make sure it is balanced).
- Place over moderate heat with the spit rotating.
- Baste with the honey juice.
- Cook until golden about 3/4 hour.
This was outstanding! The cooking method imparted the wonderful spice flavour throughout the chicken and left it really tender. The reduced cooking time on the BBQ also meant no burning of the honey / juice mixture that often happens when cooking one on the BBQ from scratch.