Recipe by Denise in NH
I am copying this from Womans World..I am just using ground turkey in place of the ground beef that was in their recipe to see if I can lower the saturated fat.
Top Review by Inklady
We loved this recipe. I used 1 large fresh red pepper and 1 medium onion to make short strips instead of frozen peppers. I also used TVP instead of ground meat = Vegan Sloppy Joes By Shannon Holmes. I used a 7 X 11 inch casserole dish. It took 25 minutes to bake. This turned out so good. We love Manwich, and I was trying to add veggies and use less bread/buns. This satisfied our craving. Thank you, Denise, for posting.
- 2 cups sliced bell peppers (from frozen pepper stir fry mix)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can sloppy joe sandwich sauce
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix (Jiffy)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 400,coat 1/1/2 quart baking dish and large non stick skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat -- add 1 1/2 cups Pepper mix. cook until softened -- 3 to 4 minutes.Add Turkey stirring until brown/ 5 minutes. Drain excess fat. Stir the sloppy Joe and barbecue sauce into turkey mixture, cook until thickened,3 minutes.
- Transfer to baking dish. In bowl whisk muffin mix, egg, 1/3 cup water until combined. Pour over turkey mixture. Top with remaining 1/2 cup pepper mix.Bake until cornbread is golden.