Recipe by Roosie
From the June 2001 edition of Better Homes & Gardens. I haven't tried it but it just looks/sounds so yummy, I had to post it. Hope you enjoy it.
Top Review by Darlene Summers
Roosie, BBQ'd Shrimp?? WOW!! I never thought it would be good!! But I really loved the taste and it was pretty simple to make,We had this grilled with grilled catfish,and grilled corn on the cob.And baked potatoes. What a delightful dinner we had. Thank You so much,Darlene
- 1 lb shrimp (large or jumbo)
- 1 medium ripe fresh pineapple, crown removed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce, your preference
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, canned, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, seeded, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup jicama, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (preferably fresh) or 1 tablespoon lemon juice (preferably fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 8 6-8 inch wooden skewers in enough water to cover for 30 minutes.
- This will prevent your skewers from burning, however, if you have them metal skewers may also be used.
- Also, defrost shrimp, if needed.
- Cut pineapple lengthwise into 1/2" thick slices.
- Chop some of the pineapple until it measures 1/2 cup and set aside for relish.
- Halve each pineapple slice crosswise to equal 8 pineapple planks.
- Use 1 tbs of your melted butter and brush the planks on both sides, then set aside.
- Peel and devein shrimp, if needed.
- (You may want to save the shells for recipe#61197"Shrimp Stock" if desired.) In a medium bowl mix barbecue sauce, chipotles, garlic and the remaining 2 Tbsp of melted butter.
- Stir in shrimp.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Remove shrimp, discard marinade.
- Thread 1 jumbo or 3 large on each skewer, set aside.
- For relish: combine reserved 1/2 cup chopped pineapple, the chopped cucumber, chopped jicama, lime/lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Cover and set aside until serving time.
- Grill shrimp kabobs and pineapple planks on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals.
- Grill until shrimp are opaque and pineapple is heated through, turning once through grilling time.
- Allow 10-12 min for jumbo shrink, 6-10 minutes for large shrimp and 6-8 minutes for pineapple planks.
- If desired, brush each kabob with additional barbecue sauce during last 1 minute of grilling.
- Alternately, cook under a hot broiler on a rack.
- To serve, stir chopped cilantro into relish.
- Place pineapple planks onto serving platter.
- Spoon some of the relish over the planks and then top each with a shrimp skewer.