From the June 2001 edition of Better Homes & Gardens. I haven't tried it but it just looks/sounds so yummy, I had to post it. Hope you enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb shrimp (large or jumbo)
- 1 medium ripe fresh pineapple, crown removed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, your preference
- 1 -2 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, canned, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cucumber, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup jicama, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (preferably fresh) or 1 tablespoon lemon juice (preferably fresh)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Soak 8 6-8 inch wooden skewers in enough water to cover for 30 minutes.
- 2This will prevent your skewers from burning, however, if you have them metal skewers may also be used.
- 3Also, defrost shrimp, if needed.
- 4Cut pineapple lengthwise into 1/2" thick slices.
- 5Chop some of the pineapple until it measures 1/2 cup and set aside for relish.
- 6Halve each pineapple slice crosswise to equal 8 pineapple planks.
- 7Use 1 tbs of your melted butter and brush the planks on both sides, then set aside.
- 8Peel and devein shrimp, if needed.
- 9(You may want to save the shells for Shrimp Stock"Shrimp Stock" if desired.) In a medium bowl mix barbecue sauce, chipotles, garlic and the remaining 2 Tbsp of melted butter.
- 10Stir in shrimp.
- 11Cover and let sit at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- 12Remove shrimp, discard marinade.
- 13Thread 1 jumbo or 3 large on each skewer, set aside.
- 14For relish: combine reserved 1/2 cup chopped pineapple, the chopped cucumber, chopped jicama, lime/lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt.
- 15Cover and set aside until serving time.
- 16Grill shrimp kabobs and pineapple planks on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals.
- 17Grill until shrimp are opaque and pineapple is heated through, turning once through grilling time.
- 18Allow 10-12 min for jumbo shrink, 6-10 minutes for large shrimp and 6-8 minutes for pineapple planks.
- 19If desired, brush each kabob with additional barbecue sauce during last 1 minute of grilling.
- 20Alternately, cook under a hot broiler on a rack.
- 21To serve, stir chopped cilantro into relish.
- 22Place pineapple planks onto serving platter.
- 23Spoon some of the relish over the planks and then top each with a shrimp skewer.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Shrimp on Pineapple Planks
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.3
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 121.8 mg
- Sodium 295.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo