Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
If you make this, you have to promise to invite me over. I probably won't be able to make it, but I will remember you in my will. Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck.
Top Review by ellie_
Delicious and perfect with a tossed salad for a simple supper. We used rice vinegar instead of the champaign vinegar and used peppered bacon for the bacon--delicious! Thanks for sharing!
For the Sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 ounces shallots, peeled and sliced (5 large)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- white pepper
For the Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb peeled and deveined shrimp (about 20 medium)
For the Sandwich
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 12 slices sourdough bread (thin slices)
- 2 cups baby lettuce (or 8 nice pieces romaine or iceberg lettuce)
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, cut into 12 thin slices
- 6 ounces thick bacon, cooked and drained (12 slices)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE THE SAUCE: In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Sweat the shallots for about 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and vinegar and reduce slightly.
- Pour in the cream and reduce the sauce by half. Whisk in the butter and strain into a clean pan.
- Season with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- COOK THE SHRIMP: Sprinkle the vegetable oil over the shrimp. Grill the shrimp, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Do not overcook.
- Drain and cut each shrimp in half lengthwise.
- PREPARE THE SANDWICH: For each sandwich, spread a little mayonnaise on one slice of bread and arrange a little lettuce on the bread. Top with 3 slices of tomatoes, season lightly with salt and pepper, and arrange the bacon on the tomatoes. Top with the second slice of bread, a thin layer of mayonnaise and a little lettuce. Heat the shrimp in the lemon butter and arrange on the lettuce. Top with the third slice of bread and cut in half. Serve immediately.