I was skeptical of the flavors in this recipe, but the dish is fantastic! I got this recipe is from the Dec/Jan 2006 Light and Tasty Mag (submitted by Judith Kin, Madisonville, TN). I made a few changes, but overall the recipe is hers. I can't take credit for it. Thanks Judith!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup half & half light cream
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine (more cloves if you love garlic)
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used more)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Bring water, half and half, 1 teaspoon butter, salt, pepper to a low boil. Add grits, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes until grits are thickened.
- 2Combine ketchup, honey, lemon juice, and hot pepper. Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, saute onion in the rest of the butter until transulent. Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- 4Add shrimp and saute till pink. Be careful not to overcook or they'll be tough.
- 5When grits are thickend, add cheese to them. Taste and add salt, pepper if needed. If grits become to thick add a little water or milk.
- 6Add ketchup mixture to the shrimp and just heat through.
- 7Serve shrimp over grits.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Shrimp and Cheese Grits - Yum!
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.4
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 373.9 mg
- Sodium 901.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 47.6 g