Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I was skeptical of the flavors in this recipe, but the dish is fantastic! I got this recipe is from the Dec/Jan 2006 Light and Tasty Mag (submitted by Judith Kin, Madisonville, TN). I made a few changes, but overall the recipe is hers. I can't take credit for it. Thanks Judith!!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup half & half light cream
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine (more cloves if you love garlic)
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used more)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring water, half and half, 1 teaspoon butter, salt, pepper to a low boil. Add grits, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes until grits are thickened.
- Combine ketchup, honey, lemon juice, and hot pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in the rest of the butter until transulent. Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add shrimp and saute till pink. Be careful not to overcook or they'll be tough.
- When grits are thickend, add cheese to them. Taste and add salt, pepper if needed. If grits become to thick add a little water or milk.
- Add ketchup mixture to the shrimp and just heat through.
- Serve shrimp over grits.
Not for us. We did not care for the combination of sweet & spicy flavors mixed with the (way too) creamy grits. The flavor of the grits was good, but not with the tangy(?) BBQ sauce.
a little ketchup-y for me, but it was good! i added some extra butter when i heated the sauce
This is quick, easy, and very tasty. We definitely added more hot sauce. I had some cheese grits left over from a brunch, so I used them and just made the shrimp and sauce part. Thanks for posting.