Recipe by rosie316
If I have the time to make homemade BBQ sauce, this is one of several recipes that I use when I grill or oven bake. This is super quick and easy to make. Hubby really loves this on my Easy Oven Baked Ribs, but it is just as good when used on poultry. If you like a sweet BBQ sauce with a bit of a spicy after taste, this could be the one you want (I actually prefer the more mustard based BBQ sauces, but this makes hubby happy). I'm hoping that you enjoy this recipe, and that maybe you will try one of my other BBQ sauces in the future. *Note: I've stopped "tinkering" around with this recipe because hubby said "It's great as is, leave it alone". (I considered maybe sweating some minced onion to add along with some garlic powder, but it is just so simple and tasty now that I would hate to mess it up. Besides, those flavors are not missed). Enjoy! (*Note added: It is an extremely thin sauce, but can probably be altered to make it thicker... maybe less water or longer simmer time).
Top Review by alligirl
I reduced this to make a lesser amount of sauce, but I was super proud of myself, as I've never made BBQ sauce before! Brushed over some chicken legs, we scarfed this down! Thanks for sharing, rosie316!
- 1 cup catsup
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar (more or less, adjust to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (more or less, to taste)
- red pepper flakes (to taste, I use about 1/2 teaspoon)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except red pepper flakes in a small size sauce pan. Whisk while heating over a medium-low flame. Once sugar is dissolved, add in red pepper flakes. Simmer 5 minutes, whisking often.
- Once everything is incorporated, and you've adjusted the taste to your liking, let cool completely and store in an air tight jar for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator (that's the longest it ever lasted in our house, it may stay fresh longer). If not using right away, mix sauce well, before using. (Nicely fills a recycled and cleaned, 16oz olive jar for storing in the fridge).
- *Note: While the ingredients have time to meld together in the fridge, the flavor will change a bit. Keep this in mind while tasting during the preparation. A little bit hot will get hotter -- a little bit sweet will get sweeter.