Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Process time is for up to 1,000ft so adjust for your area if needed.
- 20 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan combine onions, tomatoes, garlic, pepper flakes, and celery seeds. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently until vegetables soften, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer mixture to a sieve placed over a glass or stainless steel bowl and press with the back of a spoon to extract all liquid and pulp. Discard solids.
- Return liquid and pulp to saucepan. Add brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, nutmeg, mustard, ginger, and cinnamon. Return to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened to the consistency of a thin bbq sauce, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare canner, jars and lids. Jar the sauce leaving 1/2 in headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rim, place lids and bands.
- Process 20 minutes.