Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe, when compared to a full fat, full sugar version, has a 64% reduction in calories, a 85% reduction in fat, a 60% reduction in carbohydrates and a 91% reduction in sugars.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste, divided
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 3⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Place oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic. Saute over medium heat until translucent (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Mix the bouillon and water until partially dissolved. Add bouillon mixture and all remaining ingredients to the saucepan. Stir well using a wire whisk.
- Simmer uncovered 25-30 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Stir frequently. Refrigerate overnight in a non-metallic container. Sauce is best if prepared a day before use. Keeps well refrigerated for 1 week.