Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Spicy and a tang of vinegar. Awesome beans, but a bit vinegary. To make it suit my own personal tastes, I added 2 (16 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes and 2 more (16 oz.) cans of beans. My husband insisted I add 1/2 pound of browned ground pork sausage. I also add a teaspoon of baking soda because I've been told it lets the "air" out of beans. Used kidney beans they took several hours of simmering to get tender enough--next time I will try the pink beans. Those of you with a tender palette, beware of the cayenne pepper and use accordingly! What I ended up with was an awesome pot of BBQ Beans.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups barbecue sauce (memphis-style recipe here on Zaar 33814)
- 1⁄2 cup amber ale
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry rub seasonings (BBQ Red Beans)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 6 (12 ounce) cans pink beans or 6 (12 ounce) cans kidney beans
- In 6- to 10-quart pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Sauté bacon, onion and celery until vegetables often, about 15 minutes.
- To pan add Barbecue Sauce, ale, Worcestershire, brown sugar, dry rub seasoning (Recipe #33812), Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and liquid smoke.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add tomato paste.
- Stir occasionally and cook sauce for 15 minutes more.
- Add beans and simmer, stirring frequently, for 1 hour.
These are the best beans that I've ever tried. They leave a spicy (but not too much) yet tangy taste on your tongue that is a real crowd pleaser. I only made a couple of small changes to my own batch. I wanted to see if I could give the beans a little kick by substituting the ale for a corona. I also deleted the dry rub seasoning, and doubled up the cajun seasoning instead. Some people might find that a bit harsh, but even my friends who normally don't like hot food found it to be perfect.