Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Use any combination of fruit you like for this simple barbecued dessert. Do use fresh root ginger as it adds a fresh, zingy flavour that works well with star anise.
- 4 pears
- 8 small ripe bananas
- 4 ripe kiwi fruits
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 4 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 25 g unsalted butter
- lemon juice
- 8 pieces star anise
- Peel and cut fruit into large chunks.
- Place in a bowl with lemon juice, grated ginger and demerara sugar, mix well.
- Cut aluminium foil into squares roughly 20cm by 20cm, use 2 pieces per parcel.
- Spread a little soft butter in the middle of foil and place a piece of star anise on the butter.
- Pile a mixture of fruit in the centre of the foil.
- Pick up each corner of the foil and scrunch up to make a parcel which opens at the top.
- Cook on a hot barbecue for 5 minutes and serve with a topping of ice cream in the parcels.