Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 1-1/2 lbs.
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package mixed salad greens, torn (6 cups packed)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups jalapeno pepper cheese, your favorite (6 oz.)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into short, thin strips
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can ripe olives, sliced, drained
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fat free ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- Brush both sides of chicken with barbecue sauce; grill or broil about 5" from heat source 6 minutes per side, or until juices are clear.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, pepper, corn, black beans, olives and green onions; mix well.
- Combine dressing, chili powder and cumin; mix well.
- To serve, divide lettuce mixture onto 6 serving plates.
- Cut chicken crosswise into 1/2" thick slices; arrange over lettuce. Drizzle salads with dressing and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Chicken may be cooked, cooled, covered and refrigerated up to 1 day before serving.
- Reheat chicken or served chilled.
- Lettuce mixture and dressing may be prepared separately, covered and refrigerated up to 4 hours before serving.
I have made this salad for years! It is a family favorite. I make a few small (but worthwhile) changes, first, I sautee chicken breasts in a little oil and butter, then shred or cube the meat, add the BBQ sauce, and let it simmer to absorb the flavor. Then I use Green Giant Mexicorn (with red pepper) to save time. I do not put the cheese or lettuce in the black bean/onion/tomato mixture, it just gets soggy, for each salad, I put down a layer of lettuce, then the corn/bean relish, then chicken, then dressing, and top it off with the cheese and olives. Lastly, I ALWAYS serve it in a flour tortilla shell bowl! Just place a burrito sized flour tortilla in a metal (or other oven proof) bowl of appropriate size, (prick it a few times to prevent bubbles) Or use a tortilla shell bowl form which is what I have. And bake @ 350 until brown, and crisp. (about 12 min or so) The flavor of this salad is INCREDIBLE! I just love it! 04/29/08 Just a quick update: As I said, this recipe is one my family enjoys on a regular basis, It's so pretty when served, I decided to snap a quick pic, I was lucky to get these 2 before my 17 yo son snatched this one right off the table!
This was delicious. I took the advice of another reviewer and browned the chicken in a skillet with some butter, salt and pepper, also I used chicken thighs. Then shredded the chicken and sauteed it in the BBQ sauce. Also I added some avocado, it turned out tender and yummy!
Thanks for posting, will definitely be making this again!
Made this with all vegan subs (used morningstar "chicken strips", daiya pepperjack and a homemade ranch dressing from tofutti sour cream seasoning mix recipe) Really great salad! Used a brown sugar bbq sauce which was perfect! Only thing I wasn't crazy about was the chili powder/cumin added to the ranch. I thought it took away from the other flavors and was a little confusing. Just personal preference. When I made up a second salad for lunch I used plain ranch. Looks and tastes like something from a restaurant. Thanks for the recipe!.