This meal is one we always eat too much of. I recommend using Sweet Baby Ray's or Jack Daniel's original BBQ sauce. A good quality sauce makes a lot of difference. I serve it with my Sweet, Creamy Coleslaw #100526.
- Place the pork shoulder roast in the crockpot on low (on high if frozen) with 1 cup of water, basil and rosemary for about 8 hours (can be done overnight, use low even if frozen).
- Remove any skin or bone.
- Pull the meat apart into small pieces, I use forks, and return it to the crock pot.
- Add a bottle of BBQ sauce and a little water (1/4 c.) and stir to coat.
- Continue to cook on low for an hour or two.
- Serve on hamburger buns with coleslaw.
Very simple recipe that produces great results. I left this on low over night, and then added an onion, a red and yellow pepper and some mushrooms for the final 4 hours before serving. Turned out great.
I made this today for dinner and it was an absolute hit with the whole family. I don't like northern (sweet) style BBQ sauce, so I used Stubbs, which is more Carolina style. I also added a little dry sherry to the water at the beginning. I will use this recipe over and over!
I can't believe I have never reviewed this recipe, as we have been using it for at least two years. I love the simplicity of this recipe. The one change that I have made to it was to add just a bit of liquid smoke, that is just an issue of personal preference, the flavor of the pork when making the recipe is delicious. Thanks so much for sharing.