Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
As everyone else says of their recipes, "the best ever" bbq potatoes.
- 6 baking potatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 small Spanish onion, cut in 6 wedges
- 1 sweet green pepper, cut in strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 strips bacon
- parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- Scrub potatoes, cut V shaped wedge lengthwise out of top or each one.
- Sprinkle cut sides with salt and pepper.
- Insert onion wedge in each, top with green pepper and 1 teaspoon butter.
- Wrap bacon around each potato.
- Place on square of foil and wrap foil tightly around potato.
- Cover and bake on grill over medium hot coals or on medium setting, turning occasionally for 35 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Fold back foil, return potatoes to bbq.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer to crisp bacon.
- For the last 5 minutes, sprinkle with parmesan if using.
These ARE the best! Made them last night, along with bbq chicken. I've made a similar recipe for years - cutting the potato in half, inserting a thick slice of onion, wrapping the potato with a slice of bacon and then covering with foil. But this recipe is MUCH better. Can do these in the oven as well, but (as always) it's better when done on the bbq. Thanks for sharing this!
These were sooooo good! It took 2 pieces of bacon to wrap around each for me. Cooking time was right on, bacon was nice and crisp but not burnt, potatoes were perfect. A wonderful recipe all in all. I will make them often now.
Love the touch of bacon wrapped around the potatoe. I did add some dry minced garlic in the wedge. Took40 minutes on the top rack in the BBQ. Thanks Dorothy for yet another winner