Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy recipe and comes out with a wonderful flavor. Use Baking Potatoes for this recipe. I like to put extra onions around the potatoes as it is difficult to get a lot between the cuts. The onions will char but the flavor goes right into the potatoes Serve with sour cream and bacon bits if you like
- 4 baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 medium onions, peeled,sliced fairly thin,you need 24 slices
- 9.85 ml garlic powder
- 44.37 ml butter
- salt and pepper
- 4 piece heavy aluminum foil (or double foil)
- 113.39 g sour cream (optional)
- 59.16 ml bacon bits (optional)
- Make 6 cuts across the potato but do not cut through.
- Place a slice of onion in each slit.
- Dot with butter.
- Sprinkle on the garlic, salt& pepper.
- wrap tightly in the foil, seal all the joins.
- BBQ over medium heat for apprx 1 hour, turning occasionally, the time depends on the size of the potato.
- If you choose top with the sour cream and bacon bits.
I LOVED this recipe! I had issues with fitting the onion slices into the cuts, so I lay the onion slices flat in 2 layers of 3 each. Since I was making Sicilian Steak (Bistecca Alla Siciliana) as the main course, I placed a slice of prosciutto between each layer instead of using bacon bits. My compliments on a great recipe!
I made these with smaller potatoes, cut only three sections, used a few squirts of spray butter right over the onions and they came out reallllly good! We just watched them on the grill and as soon as we could squish them a little with the tongs we took them off. I was so surprised at the flavor! The onion flavor was really infused into the potato. They were so flavorful we didn't even need the sour cream or bacon! We will be making these everytime we grill! Thanks Bergy!
Yum! These potatoes were fantastic. The potatoes I had were faily small, so they only needed about 40 minutes on the bbq. I sprinkled some paprika and sea salt on the potatoes as well and loved the flavour combination. Thanks for posting!