Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
this recipe is off of tv
- 4 lbs pot roast or 4 lbs chuck roast or 4 lbs bottom round steaks
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bottled mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Heat oven to 300F.
- Brown meat on both sides in oil in large ovenproof Dutch oven.
- Add sauce, vinegar, broth, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire, chili powder, onion, garlic, and thyme to pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Place in oven and bake, covered, for 3 to 4 hours, turning meat every hour until fork tender.
- Let stand at least 30 minutes in pan.
- Remove meat from pot and skim fat.
- Slice and serve on rolls.
I made this with a bottom round roast. Cooked as directed for four hours, setting the timer turning the roast over hourly. The smell was fabulous and DH kept asking when it would be ready. The roast was fall apart tender but strictly as a matter of personal presence I am giving four stars because the sauce was just a tad too tart for me. On the other hand DH thought it was perfect. Next time I'll up the brown sugar and lessen the vinegar. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing! Tagged for July 2012 Bargain Basement