Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
This a quick easy way to BBQ your pork tenderloin and it stretches quite far too. Use any spice mixture that you like; I love Fennel spice Fennel Spice, and have included it in this recipe. It goes well with the pork as well as lamb.
- fennel, spice : (use only 2 teaspoons, store remainder)
- 1 cup fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons white peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 pork tenderloin (approximately 5 inch long and 3 inch diameter, cut into 6 medallions each approximately 3/4 inch eac)
- 3 slices bacon, cut in half
- 2 skewers, long enough to hold 3 medallions side by side approximately 9-inch if using bamboo skewers soak them
- Fennel Spice:
- Put the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a heavy pan over medium heat.
- Watch carefully, tossing frequently so the seeds toast evenly.
- When light brown and fragrant, pour the seeds onto a plate to cool. They must be cool before grinding or they will gum up the blades.
- Pour the seeds into a blender and add the kosher salt.
- Blend to a fine powder, shaking the blender occasionally to redistribute the seeds.
- Store in a tightly sealed glass jar in a cool, dry place, or freeze.
- Assembling the Skewers:
- Rub both sides of the pork medallions with the spice rub.
- Take a 1/2 slice of bacon and wrap it around the outer edge of each medallion.
- Secure it by pushing a skewer right through the middle of the medallion; place 3 medallions on each skewer.
- You should now have 3 round pieces of pork showing, the bacon from one medallion touching the next one (see picture) on each skewer.
- Barbecue on High heat; flip after 4 minutes; continue cooking until browned and cooked.
OMG, I love pork tenderlions and these were sooo good! I didnt use the fennel spice, but marinaded them in a combo of soy, olive oil, garlic, slat pepper for about 2 hours, then wrapped the bacon and grilled. Wonderful, so flavorful and melted in your mouth. Thanks Bergy!