Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Barbecue sausage balls with sauce and dip.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup dry cracker crumb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Tangy Sour Cream Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup horseradish, drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Mix sausage ball ingredients well.
- Roll into balls about 1-inch in diameter.
- Brown on all sides.
- Pour off grease.
- Mix sauce ingredients; ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce well.
- Pour mixture over sausage balls. Turn to cover well.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Mix all Tangy Sour Cream Dip ingredients well.
- Spear toothpick into hot sausage ball, then dip into tangy sour cream dip.
I was looking for a sausage ball recipe that was a little healthier than the ones loaded with bisquick... I added some chopped onion that I had in the fridge along with some black pepper, a couple shakes of cayenne and a some salt (which I overdid!). Baked them in the oven and now we have something quick for breakfast that didn't take much time to make. Would love to try these with the yummy sounding dipping sauces when I have more time! Thanks for posting, these will be in our rotation for sure!
I made these tonight along with Fried Cabbage Fried Cabbage. They turned out fantastic! The only changes I made were to use gluten free cracker crumbs and to bake the sausage balls on a cookie sheet for 20 min. at 350 degrees instead of frying them. Thanks for posting the recipe!
Very difficult to understand the directions!