I saw Paula Deen prepare this on her show and just had to give it a try. This makes such a tender and juicy pulled pork with a little kick to it.
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne
- 4 lbs shoulder pork roast
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Mix the dry rub ingredients in small bowl. Sprinkle dry rub all over the pork roast, pressing into the pork. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the liquid ingredients and pour into a large Dutch oven; add the pork. Cover the dutch oven with aluminum foil then the lid. Roast for 4 hours or until the pork is fork tender and shreds easily. Brush the roast with cooking liquid every hour.
- Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle. Shred the pork with a fork or tongs.
- Serve on buns topped with BBQ sauce of your choice and cole slaw.