Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
North Carolina style BBQ recipe.
- 4 -5 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Combine all ingredients except sugar and mustard in heavy pot. Add enough water to cover meat.
- Slowly cook until meat falls of the bone (approx 3 hours).
- Remove pork from pot and put in frying pan. Let simmer. Stir continuously until juice is absorbed.
- Cut/shred meat while in pan. Add sugar and mustard.
- NOTE: To save time I usually use a pressure cooker for the meat, instead of adding enough water to cover the meat, I add about 3 cups and cook at 10 lbs pressure for 50-60 minutes That time is from the time that the cooker comes to pressure. After it has cooled the meat has usually fallen completely off and the bone is clean, remove the bone then stir and simmer - if it tastes too vinegary to you, then add some more water and simmer it off. It's usually fine for me. Add the rest of the ingredients.