Recipe by twissis
Found at www.recipesecrets.com, this onion relish was suggested to accompany hot dogs, hamburgers, sausages or steak sandwiches. It is very easy to prepare & prep methods for both the grill & the oven were given. Enjoy!
Top Review by Kellie in SLO
These onions had a beautiful BBQ flavor. I did find most of the liquid drained out when I flipped the packet in the oven. I had to put them in for an extra 15 minutes, as they were still crunchy when I first opened the packet. I couldn't find the Lipton Savory Herb and Garlic soup mix, so I substituted Recipe #102041. I omitted the salt and mixed 2Tbsp of the herb mixture with 2 Tbsp of chicken bouillon granules. I look forward to making these again, my whole kitchen smelled wonderful.
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) lipton savory herb with garlic soup mix
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large onions (about 2 lbs, thinly sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- In lrg bowl, combine Lipton Savory Herb w/Garlic Dry Soup Mix, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar & oil. Add onions & toss to coat.
- Turn into a foil bag. Double fold open end of bag to seal.
- Grill (turning bag over halfway thru cooking) 25 min or till onions are tender.
- Oven Method: Preheat oven to 450°F Place foil bag in lrg baking pan on bottom rack & bake (turning bag over halfway thru cooking) 45 min or till onions are tender.
- NOTE: It's cold here in Iceland, so I'll prob prepare mine using the oven method & add 1 tbsp of Worcestershire for its smoky flavor.