Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
These are delicious burgers to make on the grill. The BBQ onions can be made ahead of time. This is delicious served with coleslaw on the side.
- 1⁄2 lb part-skim cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
For BBQ Onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus additional for grill)
- 2 large onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 8 hamburger buns
- Make burgers: Divide and press cheese into 8 disks.
- Place pork in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Using hands, mix in Worcestershire until just combined; do not overmix.
- Divide pork into 8 patties.
- Press a cheese disk into center of each.
- Shape pork up and around cheese; carefully flatten into 1/2 inch thick burgers, keeping cheese completely enclosed.
- Chill, loosely covered, until firm, about 1 hour.
- Make BBO onions: Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over moderately high heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute', stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cook, stirring, until thickened and glazed, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and cool. (Can be stored in an airtight container, chilled, up to two weeks. Serve at room temperature.).
- Preheat grill and lightly oil rack.
- Grill burgers on rack over moderate heat, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill buns, cut side down, until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Arrange burgers in buns with BBQ onions.