Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fantastic Grill or oven recipe.
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, about 6 ounces total, each 1-1/2 to 2 inches across
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 lbs 80% lean ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground fresh black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1. To prepare the meatloaf: Remove and discard the tough stems from the mushrooms and then generously brush or spray them with oil. Grill or saute over medium heat until barely tender, 6 to 7 minutes, turning once or twice. When cool enough to handle, cut the mushrooms into 1/4-inch pieces.
- 2. In a medium bowl combine the bread crumbs and milk, mix well, and let stand while combining the rest of the ingredients. In a large bowl, combine all the meatloaf ingredients, including the mushrooms and soaked bread crumbs. Using your hands, mix the ingredients thoroughly but do not overwork. Form into a loaf about 9 inches long and 5 inches wide. Place the loaf in the middle of a disposable aluminum pan. Grill over indirect medium heat or place in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- 3. After 45 minutes, brush the barbecue sauce over the top and sides of the meatloaf and continue to grill(bake) until the internal temperature reaches 160°F, 40 to 45 minutes more. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into 1-inch slices and serve warm.