Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This delicious recipe comes from Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness on the web. There are a few changes from the original but this is one tasty way to make meatballs.
- COMBINE in a large bowl beef, crackers, 2 tbsp barbecue sauce, egg and seasonings.
- MELT margarine in skillet; Saute onion until tender; Add onion to beef mixture and mix well.
- SHAPE beef mixture into 1 ½ inch meatballs and place on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- BAKE at 350°F for 20 minutes or until just browned.
- POUR remaining sauce in crock pot; Add meatballs and stir gently to cover in sauce.
- COVER and cook on high-heat for 4 hours stirring occasionally.
These meatballs were OK, but they came out of the crockpot with an odd flavor as if they had burned in the sauce. I followed the recipe exactly, except I didn't add any cracker crumbs and added an egg yolk to make everything bind. I will make these again, but will bake in the oven next time and dilute the sauce with just a bit of water. I think I'll also brown the meatballs on the stove before baking.
Everyone enjoyed this recipe. Now, the changes I made because I don't eat beef. I doubled the recipe (except for the butter) and used ground turkey. I think my meatballs were a little larger, so I baked them longer, until they looked browned. I will definitely make this again.