Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I think this came from Cook's Ilustrated? It is one of the best Macaroni salads I have tasted in a long time. Served it in one of my cooking classes and they will all be making it for the 4th of July! :-) Though I would share it here.This is our New Potato Salad Alternative! :-)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- ground black pepper
- Bring 4 quarts of water to boil with 1 T salt.
- Add noodles and cook al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool. You want the pasta still moist, but not wet.
- stir in the veggies. ( on the onions use the green parts too.).
- Combine the remaining ingredients to make the dressing.
- NOTE:*The best BBQ Sauce for this is:"Bull's Eye" Origonal! It is a little sweet and not overpowering.
- Toss the pasta with the dressing.
- The salad can be refrigerated for 2 days. If it seems too dry add 2-3 T of warm water and toss well to make it creamy again.
- **To take it to a pic-nick put your cold pasta in a large zip-lock. Put a little water in a little zip lock and put it right in the bag too. When ready to serve add the water to moisten the pasta! :-) Carry the dressing in separate container and toss just before serving.