Recipe by Sassy in da South
Try these for a break from your regular baked beans. These beans always go over well at our summer cookouts and bbq's. If they are too sweet for your taste, you could add a teaspoon of dijon mustard. Preparation time includes allowing the beans to stand for an hour.
- 1 lb dried lima beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup pancake syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 inches
- Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding water.
- Return beans to the saucepan.
- Add 6 cups water, onions and salt; mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beans are tender.
- Drain and discard liquid.
- Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, syrup, hot pepper sauce and bacon. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish or bean pot.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until bubbly.