Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the Harrisburg Patriot Food section for Dec 14. No promises because I am putting it here for me also From the Biggest Loser Cookbook by Rodale Added: July 15th. I tried this. The brown lentils seem to take forever as the reviewers said. I would suggest trying a faster lentil. Red might be much easier in this recipe but watch it carefully when you do. French took ages. No all Lentils are not created equal [grin]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in 2 qt pan on med heat.
- Add onion and cook 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic, chili powder and mustard powder; cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Do not brown the garlic.
- add broth, sauce, vinegar, mustard, honey, and lentils; stir well and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes until lentils are tender but intact.
- Cook times will vary if needed add 1/4 cup water and simmer five more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.