1/3 Photos of BBQ Hobo Stew
This is a summer favorite. I grew up having these...my grandparents made them and then my parents made them. My whole family loves these! You could make them in the oven but for some reason they just don't taste as good as they do on the barbecue! You don't want real lean hamburger as the dish needs some "juices" but you don't want it too greasy either. I usually use the 12-15% fat. If you go with less fat your meat patty and veggies will seem dry. If you don't like any of the ingredients like onions or celery...cook it all together and then pick those parts out. It is important to the taste for it to all cook together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Tear off four good sized pieces of aluminum foil to make pouches for the "stew".
- 2In the center of each piece of foil, place a 1/4 pound patty of hamburger. We generally try to have the patty about 3/4 inch thick.
- 3Sprinkle meat with seasoning salt and pepper to your tastes.
- 4Layer on top of the meat, potatoes, then celery and then carrot.
- 5Fold up foil to make a sealed packet. You want it to be "tight" as you don't want all the yummy juices to run out when you turn them on the barbecue.
- 6Place the four packets on a heated to about medium barbecue.
- 7Cook 15 minutes on the first side and then turn over and cook 10-20 minutes.
- 8Check by opening a packet and making sure the potatoes feel done.
- 9When the meat and pototoes are done, remove to a plate and let sit for five minutes meat side down to let the juices run back into the meat.
- 10Dump out onto a plate to serve.
- 11Sometimes I season the meat like meatloaf before I make the patties and sometimes I serve it with A-1 sauce and or ketchup. The vegetable and the meat compliment each other with their juices. You can add extra potatoes or make the patties bigger -- you are limited only by your imagination!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Hobo Stew
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.0
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 76.1 mg
- Sodium 117.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 28.3 g