Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Taken from The President's Choice Barbecue Cookbook. An interesting side dish for BBQ day. Cook time is marinade time.
- Slice tops off onions and peel, keep root end intact.
- Slice onions in half through the root.
- Cut each half into 4-6 wedges, though the root so wedges hold together.
- In a small bowl, mix together honey, soy sauce and mustard.
- Add onion pieces and toss to coat.
- Let stand for 1-2 hours.
- Place onions in grill basket and cook 10-15 minutes until tender.
I loved this! I did stray just a little from the directions. I cut into thin wedges and roasted in the oven at 400*F. for about 30 minutes. Yum! Thanks for a flavorful way to use onions. Made for PRMR game.
We enjoyed the sweet and tangy flavor of these onions. I took the advice of another reviewer and put them on skewers. I also grilled them just till a tad blacken before moving off the hot heat and letting them soften while I finished the rest of our meal. Thanks for posting. :)
This recipe made it into our Book #231450. 7/05/08 - This is a wonderful side dish! I used 1/2 of a red onion since there was just the two of us and baked them in the oven in a foil lined pan for easy clean-up (375F for 20 minutes). This is a very unique little recipe. The onions were crisp yet tender, and very flavorful. They held together very well, and the root end turned this into wonderful finger food. We bit down close to the root end, then sucked in the onion and all the flavorful juices. This recipe is terrific! Thanks for another keeper Sam. :)