Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A sweet and spicy bread that makes a great side to chicken Ceasar salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 large loaf French bread
- shredded provolone cheese, for topping
- grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add the onion and garlic, and cook and stir about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chili sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, and tobasco sauce; simmer about 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Cut bread diagonally into 3/4" slices, almost but not through to the bottom of the loaf.
- Spread the sauce between the slices; sprinkle with shredded provolone and/or parmesan cheese.
- Wrap loaf in aluminum foil and heat in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Serve warm.