1/1 Photo of BBQ Flavored Seitan
1 hr 15 mins
Raven D's Note:
I wanted to make more a BBQ type seitan after the success of my spicy seitan, so I made a few modifications to my original recipe and came up with this. I also made BBQ sauce for the first time and it turned out pretty good. Unfortunately I didn't really keep track of measurements, so I won't be posting that recipe right away. Also, if you're making this on a large scale (the first time I made this I actually octupled the recipe) you're probably going to need to add more of the liquid ingredients (maybe 1 to 2 cups more of the mixture). You want the seitan to feel similar to a wet sponge. Just like with my other seitan, how long you cook it will effect how hard or soft it is. Personally, I like this kind to be sort of like lunch meat, so I've included the times for making it a nice, soild, meat substitute. If you think you've over cooked it (it gets really browned), don't worry. Let it cool and bake it or fry it up later. The "skin" will soften when it's reheated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 2In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- 3Add wet mixture to dry ingredients (I find pouring it along the edges of the dry mixture helpful).
- 4Mix and knead the dough thoroughly.
- 5Shape into an 8 inch (or so) loaf.
- 6Place the loaf in the middle of a sheet of aluminum foil.
- 7Tightly wrap loaf in foil like a sausage, twisting the ends.
- 8Steam the wrapped loaf for 45 minutes.
- 9Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- 10Place loaf in pan or on baking sheet and bake for another 45 minutes.
- 11Take out, unwrap, let cool, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Flavored Seitan
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.8
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 323.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten