I wanted to make more a BBQ type seitan after the success of my spicy seitan, so I made a few modifications to my original recipe and came up with this. I also made BBQ sauce for the first time and it turned out pretty good. Unfortunately I didn't really keep track of measurements, so I won't be posting that recipe right away. Also, if you're making this on a large scale (the first time I made this I actually octupled the recipe) you're probably going to need to add more of the liquid ingredients (maybe 1 to 2 cups more of the mixture). You want the seitan to feel similar to a wet sponge. Just like with my other seitan, how long you cook it will effect how hard or soft it is. Personally, I like this kind to be sort of like lunch meat, so I've included the times for making it a nice, soild, meat substitute. If you think you've over cooked it (it gets really browned), don't worry. Let it cool and bake it or fry it up later. The "skin" will soften when it's reheated.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients (I find pouring it along the edges of the dry mixture helpful).
- Mix and knead the dough thoroughly.
- Shape into an 8 inch (or so) loaf.
- Place the loaf in the middle of a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Tightly wrap loaf in foil like a sausage, twisting the ends.
- Steam the wrapped loaf for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Place loaf in pan or on baking sheet and bake for another 45 minutes.
- Take out, unwrap, let cool, and enjoy!
This recipe makes a perfect seitan loaf! I made sandwiches with it, and will try it again with barbecue sauce on the grill.