Recipe by Wildflour
I love these! Hope you give them a try!
Top Review by Marie Nixon
I knew I was going to like this recipe because I like all of the ingredients. I ended up loving the recipe! I cut the recipe down to one onion. Since the meat mixture is a little bit like a meatloaf mix, I added a tablespoon of Panko bread crumbs to the meat mix. I thought it would help absorb some of the fat from the ground beef. The Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce makes a beautiful glaze on the meat an onions.
- 6 large onions
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweet baby ray's barbecue sauce, divided (or your favorite sweet bbq sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onions in half crosswise, peel and remove centers leaving 2 or 3 layers of onion. Set aside.
- Finely chop enough onion centers to make 1 cup.
- Combine chopped onion, ground beef, egg, salt, 1/4 cup bbq sauce and bacon.
- Mix well and make 6 large meatballs.
- Fit meat mixture into 6 onion halves, mounding it up so that the second half of onion fits over it.
- Place stuffed onions in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 45 to 60 minutes. Baste with remaining bbq sauce during the last 25 minutes of cooking time.
- Onions may be cooked on grill. Wrap in foil and cook over hot coals for 30 minutes. Carefully open foil packets and baste onions with bbq sauce. Grill for another 25 minutes or until onions are tender and meat is done. Makes 6 servings.
- *You can also bake the halves and not put them together. Top them with a slice of cheddar at the end if desired.