Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This recipe called for pork, which I don't like, so I decided to use chicken instead. To my surprise, it turned out really well. My husband actually liked it! Use your judgement on the consistency. I periodically checked on the barbeque a few times throughout the day and stirred it a little. I'd love to hear from anyone who tries this recipe. Hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 -2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder, depending on your tastes
- 4 hamberger hot dog buns, toasted
- In your crockpot combine green pepper and onions.
- Sprinkle tapioca over veggies.
- Place the chicken over the veggies.
- In a med. bowl, combine barbeque sauce and chili powder.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 11-12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 1/2-6 hours.
- When the cooking time is almost up, take a fork and shred the chicken.
- This should be quite easy to do, since the chicken will be very tender.
- Cook a little longer or until you think it is at the right consistency.
- Serve on the toasted buns.
- (I used onion buns, which tasted good w/ the barbeque).
This was wonderful. I used KC Masterpiece Spicy Original BBQ sauce (my favorate). The green peppers really add to the flavor of the chicken. I found that my crockpot needed less cooking time, but it is a smaller one. This was also a snap to prepare. I paired a sandwich with a nice crisp green salad with reduced fat blue cheese dressing. YUM! Thanks for posting
Chicken breasts and slow cookers just don't seem to work well together in my humble opinion. Sorry, buttercup.
I really liked this. We cooked it a little too long in the crockpot and it was sticking in the bottom, but it was still very good.