Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This can be easily doubled..........
- 1 (4 lb) chicken
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- Place whole chicken in a large pot, cover with water.
- Heat to boiling then simmer til chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken, cool then shred meat off bones.
- In a large pan, mix ketchup, water, onion, salt, celeryseed, chili powder, brown sugar, Tabasco, Worcestershire and vinegar.
- Add shredded chicken.
- Simmer chicken in sauce for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve warm on rolls.
- Makes about 6 big sandwiches.
I made this with yogurt, and barbeque sauce instead of ketchup, and I didnt add brown sugar, and I didnt simmer the chicken in the sauce for 1 and a half hours...I just cooked the sauce enuf to mix it all and keep it saucy, and then i added the chicken and added more salt, o and i made less servings...this ended up tasting more like tuna than nething else, and it wasnt that great...it was ok...
My husband loved this recipe. He kept saying how good the kitchen smelled while i was cooking it, it definitely wasn't disappointing when we finally sat down to eat. I used the leftover chicken to make BBQ chicken pizza which was also really good.
I made exactly as directed and my husband ate two big sandwiches within 10 minutes. Very, VERY good!!! Thanks for the recipe which I know I'll be making again soon since it's soon to be college basketball season!