Fabulous...FABulous...FABULOUS original creation from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. Note: For a slightly lighter and zestier dressing replaced some of the mayonnaise with lowfat or regular plain yogurt.
Chicken and Salad
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, cored and chopped
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (cubed small or shredded)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese (cubed small or shredded)
Creamy BBQ Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- For the salad, combine the cooked chicken and BBQ sauce in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, toss together the iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, red onion, cilantro, corn, black beans and cheese. Toss the mixed salad with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the dressing, if desired. Otherwise, you can serve the dressing on the side. Place salad on plates and top with the prepared BBQ chicken and additional dressing.
- For the dressing, combine all the ingredients together and whisk (or shake, if using a jar) vigorously to combine. You could also run this through a blender to make it even more smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.