Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is just one of those recipes I threw together one day because there just wasn't a whole lot of good things to eat in the house, and I was really hungry. It turned out great, and now I have another healthy recipe to share.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 cups mixed salad greens (I like spinach and romaine)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped bacon (bacon bits)
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper; grill, bake, or pan fry the chicken, and set aside to rest.
- Place the salad greens on a large plate or two separate plates.
- Sprinkle on the onion, cucumber, tomato, and bacon bits, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, vinegar, and salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Slice the chicken into strips and set them both on top of the salad greens or place one breast onto individual plates.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pour on the dressing.
I used this recipe to make a "true" chicken salad. First, I doubled the recipe, leaving out the greens, cucumber, and bacon. Then I diced the chicken small, (I used leftover grilled chicken breasts), and mixed it with the mayo/bbq sauce mixture. I let it sit the fridge for a few hours to really let the flavors blend. The tomatoes and cheese were added just before serving. I used toasted thick sliced bread to make sandwiches. Awesome!