Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This spice paste rubbed under the skin of your chicken pieces really gives this an intense flavor. Feel free to use your favorite bottled or home made BBQ sauce to baste.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Hi Kozmic Blues...made chicken last night, and I used your chicken rub, with my momemade BBQ sauce, and marinated it overnight in the fridge...well it turned out wonderful, very tasty and moist. I usually bake my chicken in the oven, but decided to give broiling a try, and was not dissapointed. this is a great chicken rub, one that I will use again. Thank you for posting :-)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts (legs, thighs, breasts with skin on)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (bottled or home made, your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together ingredients for the rub.
- Oil, chili powder, paprika, sage, mustard, ginger and cayenne pepper, until you've form a thick paste.
- Rub the spice paste over your chicken pieces, making sure to get under the skin.
- Cover and refrigerate for about two hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and place them skin side down on foil lined baking sheet or broiler pan.
- My broiler is quite small, so I do these right in the oven (on broil) with the rack placed 7 or 8 inches below the element.
- Broil for 10 minutes.
- I turn the pan once to ensure even cooking.
- Remove pan from oven, and baste pieces with BBQ sauce.
- Place chicken back in oven, skin side up and broil until cooked through and crispy (about 10 minutes more) basting pieces occasionally.
- Sauce will brown slightly.
- Remove from oven and enjoy.