Recipe by FireRaven
This was a "throw together" recipe that turned out to be a winner. It came when I had a hankering for BBQ chicken pizza but was too lazy to make (or buy) the crust. The roll-ups are baked to cut down on the fat, and they got just as crispy as when I've fried them. Enjoy!
Top Review by SusieQusie
Great use of egg roll wraps and a nice quick meal. They were crisp and brown without a lot of fat. I used a rather spicy BBQ sauce so went with ancho chile strips instead off bell pepper. I guessed that the water in the ingredient list was to seal the wrappers as I did not see it mentioned in the directions. Thanks for sharing your creation! Made for PAC Spring 2007.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce (I used a spicy-sweet, smoky,honey-habanero sauce)
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, in strips
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, in strips
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 large egg roll wraps
- vegetable oil cooking spray (I used butter-flavored Pam)
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate chicken in the 1/3 cup of BBQ sauce for 1 to 2.
- hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Spray 10 inch skillet with Pam.
- Sauté chicken over med-high heat, until it is opaque, 3- 4 minutes.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the onion and peppers.
- Cook until barely soft.
- Lay out the egg roll wrappers.
- In the center of each, place.
- 2 tablespoons.
- chicken and veggie mixture, a drizzle of the extra BBQ sauce, and a sprinkling of the cheeses.
- Roll up, and place on a baking sheet, seam side down.
- Repeat until all of the filling is used up.
- Spray Roll-ups with Pam and bake at 400 degrees F for 16 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking.
- Serve with ranch dressing for dipping and a big salad for a simple meal.