If you've ever been to the California Pizza kitchen and tried this pizza, you'll never want to go back to the greasy East Coast style...
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons favorite barbecue sauce (we use a spicy-sweet sauce)
- bbq chicken pizza dough
- cornmeal or semolina or flour, for handling
- 1⁄2 cup favorite barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 small red onion, sliced into 1/8-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- To make BBQ Chicken: In a large frying pan, cook the chicken in olive oil over medium-high heat until just cooked, 5 to 6 minutes. Do not overcook. Set aside in the refrigerator until chilled through.
- Once chilled, coat the chicken with 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce; set aside in the refrigerator.
- To make the pizza: Place the pizza stone in the center of the oven and preheat to 500 degrees F for one hour before cooking pizzas.
- Use a large spoon to spread ¼ cup BBQ sauce evenly over the surface of the prepared dough within the rim. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon smoked Gouda cheese over the sauce. Cover with ¾ cup shredded Mozzarella. Distribute half the chicken pieces evenly over the cheese (approximately 18 pieces). Place approximately 18 to 20 pieces of red onion over the surface. Sprinkle an additional ¼ cup Mozzarella over the top of the pizza.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven; bake until the crust is crisp and golden and the cheese at the center is bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes. When the pizza is cooked, carefully remove it from the oven; sprinkle 1 tablespoon cilantro over the hot surface. Slice.