Recipe by Kimke
This is similar to the pizza available at the California Pizza Kitchen. It's great and really different from your traditional pizza.
Top Review by AmandaMcG
Yummy! I made my BBQ chicken in the crockpot. I cooked 2 chicken breasts with 1/2 a bottle of barbecue sauce on low for 8 hrs, then shredded it with a fork. I used all mozzarella cheese instead of the mozzarella/gouda mix. I left out the cilantro (even though it sounds really good) because I didn't have any. I think the onions would have been better if I sauteed them in butter first to soften them, so I'll do that next time.
- 1 prepared pizza crust (your own or purchased tube or crust)
- 10 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup gouda cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- One hour before baking the pizzas, start preheating the oven at 500 degrees Coat chicken with 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Prepare dough into pizza shape.
- Precook if needed.
- Spread remainder of barbecue sauce over the surface of the dough.
- Spread cheese over the sauce.
- Spread chicken over the cheese.
- Place the onion rings over the chicken pieces.
- Place the pizza in the oven (on top of pizza stone if available or on pan).
- Bake until crust is crispy and cheese is bubbling (8-10 minutes).
- Remove pizzas from the oven and sprinkle each with 1/2 of the cilantro.