Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This can easily become a new family favorite.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet active dry yeast)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 chicken breasts, boned and skinned (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup smoked gouda cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- To make the dough: In a small bowl, dissolve the honey in the warm water.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and stir until it dissolves. Let the yeast mixture stand for 5 minutes, until a layer of foam forms on the surface. In a large bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the olive oil and the yeast mixture. Stir the flour into the wet ingredients, until all the flour is incorporated. If its too dry, add more water. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 15 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a ball and put in in a well-oiled bowl. Cover with a moist towel and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk (about 1 1/2 hours).
- For the Chicken: In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add chicken pieces. Saute until cooked (6-8 minutes). Chill. Coat chicken with 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- For the Pizza: Heat oven to 450 degrees. Punch the dough down. Roll out into a circle. At this point the dough may be prebaked for about 10-12 minutes. Also, whether the dough is prebaked or not, you may brush the edges with a little olive oil for a golden crust.
- Spread the barbecue sauce over the surface of the dough. Distribute the cheese over the sauce. Distribute the chicken over the cheese. Place on top the onion rings over the chicken pieces. Place the pizza in the oven. Bake until crust is crispy and cheese is bubbling (8-10 minutes). Remove pizzas from the oven and sprinkle each with the cilantro.