Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I know what you are thinking – Chicken Pizza – no way. That was my exact thought – chicken doesn’t go on pizza. Pizza is supposed to be red sauce, pepperoni, cheese, etc. – my kids still feel that way. But as an adult you get bored with eating the same things all the time – at least I do. It’s time to spice things up a bit – get a little wild in the kitchen. I had noticed where some pizza shops offered a barbequed chicken pizza or even a wild buffalo-wing pizza. Why not try my hand at making my own - It could be good – you will never know until you try. My husbands Uncle visits often on the weekends and I usually make a nice meal for us – well this particular weekend I told him I wanted to try a new recipe - a barbecued chicken pizza. He said he had tried some before at a local pizza shop and said it was good. SO my husband and his Uncle Paul agreed to be my official taste testers so to say……. I was paid the best compliment by Uncle Paul – he said that my pizza was way better than the pizza shop one he had – OH happy happy me! I must add my own two cents - this was a very good pizza even with chicken on it. A delicious alternative to tomato sauce based pizzas! You are probably wondering okay what did my husband think – well he said it was good – but given the fact that my husband doesn’t like barbecue sauce – he preferred the steak pizza I made or regular pizza. BUT he was a very good sport and gave it a try.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1⁄2-1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄4 teaspoon california garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Open Pit Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (Depends on your taste, opt)
- 1 large onion, Sliced into strips
- 1 green pepper, Sliced into strips
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup olive oil, for sauteing
- 1⁄2-1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 (12 inch) pre-baked prepared pizza crust
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian cheese blend, shredded
- Sprinkle seasonings on chicken breast – then dredge them in Italian salad dressing.
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour at 350°. This seasons the chicken nicely and gives it a wonderful flavor. When the chicken is done set it aside to cool – then cube it.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine barbecue sauce, honey, molasses, brown sugar, cayenne pepper (if desired) and cubed chicken. Bring to a boil.
- Sauté onions and green peppers; set aside.
- Spread ranch dressing over pizza crust. Place slices of provolone cheese over ranch dressing. Spread chicken mixture evenly on top of cheese.
- Top with sautéed onions/green pepper mix, then sprinkle with shredded Italian cheese blend.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Option: try drizzling extra ranch dressing over the chicken – then top with cheese.
- NOTE: If the chicken barbecue mixture is soupy – use a slotted type spoon to scoop it out and place it on the pizza – you don’t want it to soupy. I also strain my onion and pepper mixture.
I didnt know whether to give this 4 or 5 stars only because I made a change with the cheeses. I had used mozzarella and gouda, about 3 to 4 cups total. I combined the two and put on top. Also I didnt add any green peppers. The chicken turned out so moist and delicious, I had cooked it in my grill pan instead of the oven. This was an amazing pizza, really surprised me when my friend said "wow". The sauce mixture turned out really yummy too with the honey and molasses in the BBQ sauce. Thanks for sharing your recipe KimmieOH it will definitely be made again.