This is courtesy Adam Gertler, on the show The Next Food Network Star-Episode: Into the Studio. It's got some great ratings on the food network. I hope you like it too! :) You can save time and use your own BBQ sauce but it is said this BBQ sauce is out of this world. The rub is so good! If you would like to make just enough rub for this recipe use 1 tbls. kosher salt, 1 tbls. plus 1 1/2 tbls. light brown sugar, 1 tbls. smoked paprika, 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1/8 tsp. dried rosemary,crushed, 1/8 tsp. dried thyme, 1 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic. I have not tried this yet(I'm a vegetarian and will have to wait for a party), but it sounds yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (or a combination of breasts and thighs)
- 1/2-3/4 cup your favorite barbecue rub (recipe follows)
- oil, for grilling
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce (recipe follows or store-bought)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (8 ounce) bag washed baby spinach leaves (or 1 cup frozen, drained and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 whole-wheat flat bread (such as naan or Mediterranean style pita)
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese or 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, blend
Smoky BBQ Rub
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (the original recipe called for 1 cup but reviewers said it was way too much)
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary (crushed slightly with spice mill)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely minced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon your favorite barbecue rub
- 1/4 cup creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1Prepare a hot grill outside or preheat a grill pan to high heat and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Toss raw chicken in a bowl with rub, a few pieces at a time until all chicken is well coated. Grill chicken on well oiled grill or grill pan for about 2 minutes on each side, until nice grill marks are formed. If chicken pieces are very thick, finish cooking for 5 to 10 minutes more in the preheated oven. Allow chicken to cool a few minutes and then pull apart into nice shreds. Toss chicken with BBQ sauce so that it is well coated but not overly wet. Keep warm in a warm saute pan until ready to use.
- 3Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic with wooden spoon. After 30 seconds add spinach and turn off heat. Toss spinach in hot oil, when wilted completely season with salt. Set aside.
- 4Spread butter evenly over 1 side of each pita. In a large saute pan, grill each flatbread over medium-high heat, buttered side down (work in batches if necessary) top each flatbread with 1 1/2 ounces of cheese, 1/4 of the spinach, and 1/4 of the chicken. Fold each flatbread over and continue grilling until golden brown on each side. Cut in half crosswise, transfer to platter and serve.
- 5Smoky BBQ Rub:.
- 6Combine all ingredients, using a whisk, wooden spoon or hands. Use hands to break up lumps of brown sugar.
- 7BBQ Sauce:.
- 8Heat oil in a 1-gallon saucepan over medium heat, sweat onions until translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and sweat 1 more minute. Add dry spices and BBQ rub; stir. Cook until spices become fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add remaining ingredients and simmer slowly for 20 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree sauce until smooth.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Chicken Packed Pita
Serving Size: 1 (4047 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1529.1
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 154.3 mg
- Sodium 19020.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 257.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.9 g
- Sugars 197.5 g
- Protein 52.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: