Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Entered for ZWT, from Neil Perry, "Food Source -- New Zealand". There are 8 dietary portions, but I would wager that this might serve 4 or fewer looking for a hearty BBQ meal. Note that internal temperature of meat will rise about 5F/3C during resting time. I would increase the amount of butter-seasoning mixture so I wouldn't run out halfway. For total decadence, why not grill some shrimp on the barbie as well!
- 1 5⁄8 kg whole chickens (butterflied or splatchcocked, 3.5 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
- 500 g lamb shoulder (butterflied and flattened with excess fat and membrane removed -1.1 lb.)
- 1 radicchio or 1 red chicory, quartered
- 2 baby fennel, quartered
- 4 sweet peppers, as many as desired
- 4 chilies, as many as desired (optional)
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced 1-cm thick (.4-in thick)
- 1 kumara or 1 sweet potato, sliced thick, par-boiled
- red wine vinegar, to taste
- Mix the garlic, sage & rosemary together with the butter & a pinch of salt.
- Split the chicken in half & stuff the butter under the skin of the chicken breast.
- Season the chicken, splash with olive oil & char-grill on the BBQ, skin side down first until well colored & just cooked through (160F/71C). Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Season the lamb well, splash it with olive oil & BBQ to medium rare (140F/60C), about 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Splash all the vegetables with olive oil & season with sea salt.
- Char-grill on the BBQ, until well colored & soft.