Recipe by ElaineAnn
Tangy homemade sauce and smoky provolone cheese make a tasty treat for lunch or snack.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Other than cutting the Dijon mustard in half , made the recipe as posted. I agree that the maple syrup added quite a bit of taste here. Great recipe. Made for you win in Football Pool.
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 lb French bread
- 8 slices provolone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine over medium heat. Separate onion slices into rings and sauté until softened. Stir in brown sugar and heat and stir until onions are glazed.
- Add catsup, water, mustard, and lemon juice. Let simmer for 20 minutes, then stir in diced chicken.
- Cover and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise and place cut side up on foil lined baking sheet.
- Divide barbecued chicken evenly on bread halves, spreading to edges.
- Place 4 slices provolone evenly on each half.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350° until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes on wire cooling rack.
- Cut each half into 4 slices and serve.