Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tangy homemade sauce and smoky provolone cheese make a tasty treat for lunch or snack.
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 lb French bread
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Melt margarine over medium heat. Separate onion slices into rings and sauté until softened. Stir in brown sugar and heat and stir until onions are glazed.
- Add catsup, water, mustard, and lemon juice. Let simmer for 20 minutes, then stir in diced chicken.
- Cover and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise and place cut side up on foil lined baking sheet.
- Divide barbecued chicken evenly on bread halves, spreading to edges.
- Place 4 slices provolone evenly on each half.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350° until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes on wire cooling rack.
- Cut each half into 4 slices and serve.
Other than cutting the Dijon mustard in half , made the recipe as posted. I agree that the maple syrup added quite a bit of taste here. Great recipe. Made for you win in Football Pool.
Very good French Bread Pizza. We liked the maple taste in the sauce! Will definitely make again! Thanks, ElaineAnn!
This was definitely easy. I used a very nice home-made bread with as a base. The sauce was far too sweet for my family, though.