Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe from the blog Two Peas and Their Pods. I didn't try it, but when I'll do, I'll use my favorite pizza dough in the bread machine.
For the dough
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant dry yeast (1 package)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (may need additional flour, depending on dough texture)
- about 1 cup water (add a little at a time until you get the right dough consistency)
For the pizza toppings or sauce
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons honey barbecue sauce, for the chicken
- 1⁄2 cup honey barbecue sauce, for the pizza
- 2 1⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 3 pieces bacon, cooked, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup jarred sliced tamed jalapeno pepper
- In a small saucepan, scald the milk over medium heat. Add butter, sugar and salt. Allow milk mixture to cool to warm. Add yeast and mix thoroughly. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add milk/yeast mixture. Slowly add flour, one cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and forms a ball. Add water, a little at a time, until the dough combines. If the dough is still wet, add a little more flour. Knead dough for 5-10 minutes using the dough hook. Place dough in a large greased bowl. Cover and allow dough to rise for 2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, brush the chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce and grill. Chop cooked BBQ chicken into small pieces and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. When the dough is ready, punch down the dough, knead briefly on a floured surface. Roll out the pizza dough, using a rolling pin. You want the dough to be about a 1/2 inch thick. Place dough in a buttered 10-inch sauté' pan or cast iron skillet. Push dough in the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Pinch off excess dough. You can save this dough to make another pizza or breadsticks. We usually stick it in the freezer for later.
- Evenly spread 1/2 cup BBQ sauce on the bottom of the pizza dough. Top sauce with 2 cups of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Roll the pizza dough that is on the side of the pan down, about one inch, and pinch to form a thick crust. Add the BBQ chicken, bacon, pineapple, and jalapeño slices. Sprinkle pizza toppings with the additional 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Place pizza in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Remove pizza from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Slice pizza with a bread knife and serve warm.
The chicken on this pizza is amazing. I used 'Australian Spirit' bbq sauce, yum! I had to cheat with the base as I hadn't factored in dough making time and by the time I got home and did the groceries, it was already getting late. I am certainly looking forward to making this from scratch next time. Had to omit bacon because I don't eat it and Jalepinos as BF is allergic :( Added some bocconcini because I had some that needed using. This is probably not the greatest review, but please do make it for the chicken if nothing else, it's fantastic. Made for Phototag Summer 2013