Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you like BBQ Chicken Pizza, you'll like this easy-to-make calzone version!
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) canrefrigerated pizza dough
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove from the pan to drain on paper towels; crumble. Add the onion and shredded chicken to the hot bacon grease in the pan. Fry over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in 1/3 cup of barbeque sauce, and remove from the heat. Mix in the cooked bacon.
- Roll the pizza crust dough out onto a greased cookie sheet. Press out to an even thickness, and then cut in half. Divide the chicken mixture between the two pieces of dough, spreading on only half of each piece to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the filling. Sprinkle the cheese and cilantro over the top. Fold the uncovered portion of dough over the filling, and press the edges together with a fork to seal.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until browned to your liking. Cool for a few minutes, then cut each calzone in half. Each serving is half of a calzone. These can be served with additional barbeque sauce if you like.
These were very good. I made them for OAMC and I love pulling them out of the feezer for a quick lunch/dinner. I will definitely make these again.
Dang, these are good! I made these calzones with the intention of freezing them, but we ended up eating them before they made it to the freezer. They were just irresistible! I used Jack Daniel's Barbecue Sauce; I wish I'd had enough left over for dipping, but alas, I had just enough to mix in with the chicken, onions, and bacon. I will definitely make these again when I have plenty of bbq sauce!
This was delicious! I made them with a plum and chipotle BBQ sauce, which gave it a fantastic sweet and smokey taste, but I'm sure it would be just as amazing with regular BBQ. Thank you so much for posting it!