Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This has to be the most requested recipe in my way-too-vast collection. It comes from Chiffonade Chef on the FC site, and she submitted it to Gourmet magazine some years ago. It was accepted and printed almost immediately. It's so easy, and so tasty, you will see why.
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce (preferably Kansas City style-Sweet)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo (note, that is one chile, not one can of chiles)
- 2 lbs leftover bbq chicken or 2 lbs plain grilled chicken
- 1 small red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk together BBQ sauce and mayo.
- Finely chop chipotle and whisk into dressing.
- Discard bones from chicken and cut meat into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Finely chop enough onion to measure 1/3 cup.
- Finely chop bell pepper and cilantro and add to dressing with chicken and onion.
- Combine well.
- Season salad with salt& pepper.
- Serve in lettuce cups with a nice crusty baguette.
Oh my goodness, this salad was excellent. I served it at our 4th of July party. I doubled it and it still didn't last very long. I used KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Had a sweet-tangy overall flavor. A great recipe that I will use often. Thanks LLBunny.
I just made this for lunch using the leftover chicken and chiles in adobo that I made last night from Grilled Chipotle Lime Chicken Breasts - or Thighs. This chicken salad is super easy, delicious and summery! I didn't have the red bell pepper or onion so I added avocado chunks and tomatoes! I will definitely be making this again! I am also going to try this sauce as a dipping sauce for chicken quesidillas, I think it would be delicious too! THANKS!
Well, this has joined my rotation of regularly used recipes. My family LOVED this BBQ chicken salad and I did, too because it was so easy to put together and the flavor was delicious. I forgot to put in the cilantro but I can't imagine the taste being improved at all. Thank you for submitting this recipe.